Pages

Monday 13 September 2010

First day on the job

Well tomorrow is officially my first day of the start of my career. I'll have to admit it is off to an interesting start. By interesting I mean, I dont know exactly what is going on. The adminstration has been in complete havoc. It is too difficult to fully explain the predicament that every new teacher at the school is in, but needless to say it is not the typical start to a new career or just the beginning of the school year. However, anyone who is familiar with the twists and turns of the education profession will know anything can happen at any point in time and we just have to deal with whatever comes our way the best we can.


Despite all all the confusion and last mintue panic for tomorrow, I think it will be a good test for my teaching abilities. I mean I dont even have my class list yet, for any of my classes. So as a result I will find out quickly what I made of in the face of this adversity. To make things even more clear, I finally recieved my finalized time table today. The first time I even saw my timetable was last wednesday, just before the the long weekend here. But I did sign up for an adventure and amazing experience. So it would appear as though I'm getting all that I have asked for. There's not too much more I can really express about tomorrow. The only real question is will i survive the wrath of highschool students, oh how the tables have turned.

Aside from the chaos with the school. The overall experience of kuwait the last two weeks has been phenomenal. It truly does feel like a life time since I have been here. I've posted a lot of pictures recently and I still have more to come. Unforuntatley the internet is still not working in the apartments. So I have to come to this internet cafe, which I dont like doing because smoking is allowed everywhere in Kuwait, even inside the malls. That has probably been the single thing that has been hardest for me to adjust to, the public smoking.

All the teachers who live in the apartments have really come together. Two weeks ago we were complete strangers. Now we are making dinners together, going to the gym together shopping and conversing like we have known one another for ages. I think right now the meshing of all the people I have met has been the greatest part of the experience. Kuwait really doesnt seem that foriegn when you are surrounded by people who have the same goals and aspirations. We have people from Australia to Ireland here and everything inbetween; that in itself has been quite an experience interacting with teachers from all of the world coming to kuwait. kuwait itself is actually a country that has more foreign workers than nationals. The total population of Kuwait is about 3 million, while about 2 million of these people including myself are foriegn workers. So its really hard to feel out of place when it seems that everyone here is out of place.

Well I'll end this blog off here for now. I have lots more to write, but I need to go back to my apartment, watch some super cheap dvds i picked up and try to ignore all the potential problems that are going to happen tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment