Pages

Tuesday 14 September 2010

Dear Diary


Dear Diary,

Today was the first day of school. I got up at 4:50am today, because the school bus leaves at 615am and boy did I not feel like waking up. I didnt have too much to do in the morning when i woke up, but i wanted to make sure i had lots of time because I am very slow in the morning. It was strange to have to pick out my own clothes instead of having my mom lay them out for me the night before, but i was able to overcome this great difficulty.

There was a lot of confusion today at the school, as many of the students schedules were not done properly and they had no idea where to go. Let me put this situation into perspective. Last period apparently I was teaching two history classes at the same time. On my timetable, I had the girls for last period. (Kuwait does not have mixed classes.) About ten minutes in to this class a boy from the 306 comes to my class and tells me that I am supposed to be in that room teaching them history. However, 307 is my classroom for the entire year. I don't even want to explain the disaster that I ran into with the boys class. I had to scramble to find another teacher to cover one of the classes, essentially leaving both classes without any supervision; at least the girls are much more mature, responsible and can fucntion without any supervision. So by the end I sent the other teacher to watch the girls class, and I watched over the boys until the bell rang.
Needless to say, by the time I was able to regroup from the chaos, the boys were so far gone into doing their own thing that class was a lost cause. Thankfully classes are only 45 minutes.

Despite all the stress that occured throughout the day and lack of communication from the adminstration I was able to overcome the many obstacles we were faced with today. How well I was able to do this is another question, but I survived and I'm ready to take on the challenges of tomorrow, as I find it to be quite exciting. But to end the day a few of us went over to the American school of kuwait and played ultimate frisbee for a few hours with the teachers there. It definitley was a great way to decompress for sure. I only have tomorrow and thursday left this week and then it's the weekend, and then i'll really be able to reflect and evaluate what I will need to do for the following week to capture and engage my students. But for the first day on the job I have to say Im still smiling so tomorrow will be another day with new obstacles. That is all for now Diary, good night

No comments:

Post a Comment